Wednesday, April 29, 2009

New Blog Site & Stardust

I've switched to Blogger just for the simple reason of witching. I wanted a fresh page, a new beginning. This may be a big one or a short one but, a boring one or an interesting one, I don't know. I'm just checking in before I go to work and saying hello to all the new people that are going to read this.

Last night I tried to watch the movie Stardust, I had finished the novel during the day and picked a copy of the movie up from work, I wanted to see how close it followed the book, sadly I was disappointed by the film. They changed the main characters name for God sakes, it was Tristran in the book and they changed it to Tristan in the movie. I know that some of you may say, "they just took out a "r"!" Well I say that makes an immense difference. In my opinion they should have kept the movie as close to the book as possible. I couldn't even finish watching the movie, maybe it was because of the bad news I received before watching the movie, I don't know. But I feel completely let down.

The book was beautiful, it was a fairy tale for grown-ups and I couldn't put it down, I picked it up yesterday after writing and found myself reading the last 180pgs in two hours, I heard myself telling the characters not to do this and not to do that. And petted my dog Maggie excitedly when Tristran saved the fallen star from the evil witch and whisked them away to the safety of a cloud. So when the movie changed his name to Tristan Thorn instead of Tristran Thorn I wasn't happy, and maybe, because I write a lot and think a lot about things, in the movie before the witch queen turned herelf young again, she was an old hag, but her voice was that of a young Michelle Phipher, couldn't they at least frickin make the lady speak in a crackled voice?

So if you get to chose between the book and the movie, sure the movie would be easier, it would be over in two hours and seven minutes, and sure you would have to read the book, but the best part of the book is getting taken to the village of Wall and then being brought aboard the sky ship that rescues Tristran and Yvaine (the fallen star) from a cloud that would dissapate and send them falling to their deaths. I should hope you would chose the latter.

1 comment:

  1. Man, I still think the movie is awesome in it's own right.

    No movie will ever be as good as the book, ever. In this case the took the movie in a completely different direction from the book but whatever. I'm sure if I had read the book before I watched the movie I'd be just as angry as you are. But I didn't and I thought it was an excellent movie all by itself.

    ReplyDelete