
Well ladies and gentlemen, do you know what today is? Monday yeah but I was really talking about it being the eve of a new Friday the 13th DVD release. Maybe I should explain how deep my love for this slasher movie icon goes, I've been watching the Friday the 13th movies ever since I was a little kid and one of them sent me screaming terrified from my big brother's birthday party. Ever since that moment, I've felt drawn to the mask, it's dark, foreboding and all around bad ass. I've sat up all night with my friend Mark on many occasions watching as Jason Voorhees goes about slashing people to ribbons with his machete. My love has grown so deep for this movie franchise that I have gotten a Jason tattoo that covers half of my shin.
The remake was written by Damion Shannon and Mark Swift and was directed by Marcus Nispel. They must be as big of fans of the franchise as I am because they knocked this movie out of the ball park. It was decently cast, with Jared Padalecki (Supernatural) as Clay Miller and Danielle Panabaker (Mr.Brooks)as Jenna, and Derek Mears (The Hills Have Eyes II) as the man Jason Voorhees.
Some people have been saying that the remake of Friday the 13th and how it really didn't differ from the older films at all. And as an avid fan I'm going to tell you that is bullshit, at first I thought I was being biased and loving the film due to the fact that I grew up watching the franchise. Now, after watching this movie two times in a row, I know that I'm not being biased. Was it the best horror flick ever? Probably not, bit I loved it from beginning to end.
They changed the main reason we all watch these movies, the anti-hero, they changed Jason and made him more terrifying, something that I did not think ever would be possible. They made Voorhees smart, he uses his victims as bait to set up other potential victims, he ties a woman up in a sleeping bag, hangs her over a fucking fire and lets her burn, when her boyfriend sees it he freaks out and runs to her rescue, not seeing a bear trap that Voorhees placed in his path, giant metal teeth slam into his ankle and rip it to shreds. I remember sitting and discussing with my buddy Mark if Jason was supernatural or human, and we decided that he was supernatural because, in the originals he would always walk after his prey and end up in front his victims with some nasty death planned. However in the remake they made him human, he was nimble and fast, there was no walking after victims, he chased them down and killed them. They also addressed the question, "How the fuck can he catch up to his victims so fast?" Well, they gave him underground tunnels so he could access all of Crystal Lake, so yeah I think the remake was fantastic and that it was very different than the originals. Another thing I loved is how Shannon and Swift actually wrote a scene about Jason finding his hockey mask, for the first few minutes of the film he wore some sort of wrap around his head with an eye hole in it an homage to part two where he wears a potato sack around his head, hiding his disfigured face. I love this because in part three they never really show you how he gets his mask. And you're left wondering, "How did he get that mask?"
Now, tomorrow the Killer Cut comes out on DVD, you would expect special features coming out the asshole on this, however there is only a fifteen minute making of feature and three additional scenes. C'mon you lazy bastards I want to see more of of the special effects, how did you do the scene when the dude gets hammered with an axe through the back, how did you did you film the scene where Jason thrusts his machete through the prick of the movie and lifts him off the ground ripping and tearing, and then throwing him onto the spike of the big tow truck? I want to see all of that shit, why? Maybe because I'm a little bit morbid, or maybe because I've been on a set with wicked special effects once and I'm interested in all of that. I kind of feel ripped off you know? However the Blu-Ray edition is loaded with special features.

So, tomorrow, I suggest you go to your local video store and pick up a copy of the movie. Come home, turn off all the lights, load your bong, or roll a fatty. Pop some corn, crack a beer or Pepsi, do whatever it is you do to enjoy a movie and prepare for some slasher goodness. And remember if you come across a abandoned house in the woods, with a bed that has the name Jason engraved on it, you should probably get the fuck out of Dodge.
Jay.
No comments:
Post a Comment