
What's up ladies and gentlemen? I pulled up my blog today and I realized that I haven't posted in an extremely long time. And I pondered on what topic should I write about, and then it came to me, the Arise and-motherfuckin-Ruin show, that's what.
I woke up this morning, rolled over onto my left side and my elbow gave a muffled cry of pain, I rubbed at the spot, it's tender, swollen and bruised. Most likely from the mosh pit last night. Yesterday after a full day of working on a story that has been on the edge of my vision lately, I decided to take off to a metal show. My friend's Nick, Mike and Paul of Time The Destroyer were playing a show with Arise and Ruin so I decided to go down a hours early hang around the club with them.
When I got off the bus the first thing I realized was that I love the fucking summer, I love the beautiful heat, I love the refreshing gusts of wind that leave you feeling invigorated, and I love all of the beautiful women. I headed off towards The Shadow and saw nick standing in front of the alley. Got there and said our hello's and then talked for a bit.
When time came to load the band in this drunk dude with a beard and long hair came stumbling over to the truck and trailer. He leaned on the box and asked if we had corral gates in the truck, I pointed out that the size of the truck wouldn't hold corral gates and the stumbled off without a reply.
I ended up needing to walk down to the bank to get some cash for the night. After tucking my money safely away into my wallet I walked out of the piss-smelling bank and saw this woman I used to go to high school with. She looked at me as if she knew me and I said.
"Hey, how are ya doing?"
"Pretty good." she said and walked by.
And I replied with "Pretty good."
It was at that moment that I realized that I am a social retard. I'm awkward around people and now that I realize that, I just have to accept the fact that some crazy shit will end up coming out of my mouth sooner or later and that I should just to go with the flow. I found Mike and shortly after we went for a walk and shared some memories, picked up a coffee from Planet Bean and then met up with some friends, I decided to go for a beer with some more friends and when I made it back to the club people were just hanging out on the streets, some were tuning instruments. The sound of screaming guitars floated up the stairs of the club and so I headed down.
I hung around talking with some friends and Mike asked me if I was going to take pictures, so I said sure and as they were setting up for their set, I was looking for spots for some good shots, there was only a couple of spots that I could snap some photos from. And as Time The Destroyer started to scream, shout and dance around I tired to use my limited eye to take at least a couple of good pictures of the guys. At the end of their set, I was sweating through my Afro Samurai t-shirt. Hugging the guys and feeling good because I managed to take some half decent pictures.
I emerged from behind the speakers, wire and mic-stands, a friend that I hadn't seen in quite some time stood there smiling so big that you just couldn't help but feel good. She had told me earlier that she had brought her new puppy along and that after the set I should check him out. I climbed the steps of The Shadow and the blessed cool night air cooled me down greatly. My friend came from around the corner with her dog, an Australian Sheppard a real cool dog, we all hung out talking excitedly to each other.
Okay, I have to admit this first and off, I've never been to an Arise and Ruin show before, and I've heard some of their music, during a car ride once or twice. But as The Shadow went black, blue lights lit the stage and the band was draped in shadows, they began to play an instrumental song I now know to be called The Aftermath, I fell into a trance, swaying with people around me. And then the music exploded. Bodies flew at one another, pushing, smacking and grunting around in time to the music. I threw my body heedlessly into the fray, knocking people around and helping them up when falling down. At the end of the first song, my gut was on fire and I couldn't breath, I walked out of the mosh pit rubbing my belly and dying of thirst.
I grabbed a glass of water and listened to Ryan Bauchman snarl into the microphone. A friend of mine came running out of the mosh pit, he climbed onto my shoulders and we went running back into the breach, slamming into everyone, we sprawled to the ground and everyone helped us up we went back to moshing out hearts out. At the end of the show, I came out smiling at Nick, shirt a wet rag, my elbow singing a son of pain and a smile on my face, I opted to walk home instead of going to the after party, an as I was walking home I saw a rabbit get his ticket punched by a silver Honda Civic and made the mistake of looking over and seeing the leg twitching. It wasn't the ending of the night I quite hoped for, but it was an ending.
Find out more about Time The Destroyer and Arise and Ruin on their myspace pages.
A few photos I took last night.


No comments:
Post a Comment