Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Silver Lining

This morning, we took our last break as the sun was climbing the sky, the clouds rippled orange and purple as The Guys I work with stood and smoked cigarettes and I sat in a chair and took in the masterpiece that is the sunrise. I can't explain why I love the sunrise more than I do a sunset? Is it because seeing such beautiful imagery in the West has become dull to me? Maybe, I really don't know the answer.

The morning air bit at our exposed skin as we sat in our rain paints and rubber boot, but we didn't mind because in just an hour, we'd be on a bus and out of there for the day. When that time came we jumped out into the chilly morning and walked the long road to the bus stop, bullshitting our way there. When it arrived we hopped on and claimed our spots at the back of the bus. But there was an interloper; she was a small girl with gray University of Guelph sweat pants on, pretty cute too, she just sat and listened to her ipod as we talked about Tommy Lee's autobiography and how talks from the perspective of his dick, if she minded, I guess she would have left.

The vibrations of the bus sent me in and out of a doze, I could have slept right there but for the fear of my snoring. There are only the three of us left from the original six who were hired on two weeks ago; I guess the turnover rate at this place is quite high. But I don't understand it, what is so hard about straightforward work? What do people have against working their asses off to make money? Are they lazy? Perhaps they are, at least that is what I think. I don't know about you but after working a tough eight hour shift, I love leaving work feeling the satisfaction that I worked as hard as I could, I threw more jerk-off jokes the fellas than they did at me, and that I get to go home when the morning guys are just starting their eight hours.

I remember in grammar school, this girl read a speech about finding the silver lining in everything, and I remember thinking the whole idea of it was stupid, fuck the silver lining. However I've grown up since then and realized silver linings when I see them. Maybe the one around this new job was meeting these guys that I'm now working with, so that they could teach me how to open up just a smidge more. Or if you want to look simply at it, it could be the fact that I now have a job to put a roof over my head and food in my and my dog's stomachs.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment